Rose-infused beauty products have been a staple in the beauty industry for centuries, and for good reason. Not only do they smell divine, but they also offer a plethora of benefits for your skin, hair, and overall beauty routine. Read on to explore how rose-infused beauty products can beautify you.
First and foremost, rose-infused beauty products have moisturizing properties that can help keep your skin hydrated and nourished. The petals of the rose contain natural oils that are easily absorbed by the skin, making it an ideal ingredient for moisturizing creams, lotions, and serums. These products help to restore the skin’s natural moisture barrier, which can help prevent dryness, flakiness, and premature aging.
A long history of beautifying.
“Rose petals/oil has been used in skincare products for centuries,” says Ewelina Aiossa, co-founder at Clinical Skin.” In fact, countries like Morocco pride themselves on spearheading the rose-based skincare products: rose water is a staple in North Africa’s beauty consumer counters. This fact qualifies it as a tried-and-true skincare ingredient.”
Rose-infused products can help improve your complexion by reducing the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, and dark spots. Roses contain antioxidants that protect the skin from free radical damage caused by UV rays, pollution, and other environmental stressors. These antioxidants help to prevent premature aging and keep the skin looking youthful and radiant.
Rose oil contains a laundry list of skin-beneficial ingredients such as vitamins, minerals, flavonoids, phenols, and antioxidants, explains Aiossa. Some claim rose infused products can help soften the skin as well as moisturize it, she says. “If this was not enough, the rose oil is suitable for most skin types and can address a variety of different skin conditions,” she adds. “It has nourishing properties and offers astringent benefits to help address acne, redness and inflammation.”
Can rose oils really help give you a radiant glow? According to Valerie Aparovich, certified cosmetologist and Science Team Lead at OnSkin, an AI-based cosmetic consultant, the answer is a resounding yes. “Rose essential oil contains fortifying antioxidants that protect the skin from free radical damage and enhance the skin regeneration, helping to reduce fine lines and wrinkles,” she explains. “Rose flowers are rich in Vitamin C, which helps brighten the skin and supports collagen synthesis, and Vitamin E, which is a powerful moisturizer. It all helps to achieve a firmer, more youthful skin appearance.”
A rose by any other word…
In addition to its skincare benefits, rose-infused products can also help improve the health and appearance of your hair. Rose oil contains vitamins and minerals that nourish the scalp and promote healthy hair growth. It can also help to hydrate and strengthen the hair, making it less prone to breakage and split ends.
Rose-infused beauty products can also have a relaxing and mood-enhancing effect. The scent of roses has been shown to have a calming effect on the mind and body. Using rose-infused products can help you relax and unwind, which can reduce stress and anxiety levels.
There are many different types of rose-infused beauty products available, including facial mists, toners, serums, moisturizers, shampoos, and conditioners. When shopping for rose-infused products, it’s important to choose high-quality products that use pure and natural rose oil or extract. Look for products that are free from harsh chemicals and additives, as these can irritate the skin and negate the benefits of the rose.
Incorporating rose-infused beauty products into your daily routine can provide a range of benefits for your skin, hair, and overall well-being. These products can help keep your skin hydrated, improve your complexion, soothe irritated skin, promote healthy hair growth, and even help you relax and unwind.
The bonafide science of roses.
Used topically for their many healing and beautifying benefits, roses are an incredibly beneficial plant for the skin, explains Dr. Nadir Qazi, DO, a board-certified physician, cosmetic dermatology surgeon, and owner of Qazi Cosmetic Clinic located in Newport Beach, CA. “Three of the more popular applications of roses in modern skincare are rose extracts, oils, and rosewater,” she says. “Both applications have fantastic effects on the skin and the added benefit of smelling nice.” Below, Qazi breaks down the many bonafide scientific benefits.
- Antioxidants: Roses are high in phenols, preventing free radicals from causing cell damage through oxidative stress. Rose extracts, oils, and rosewater all contain these antioxidant properties and help protect the skin barrier.
- Collagen production: Rose petals are high in vitamin C and rose hips, the fruits of rose plants, are high in vitamin A. Both vitamins A and C are excellent at boosting collagen production and reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Sebum regulating: Rose is mildly astringent and can help to regulate and control excess sebum production.
- Antimicrobial: Many roses, like the cabbage rose, are high in tannins, flavonoids, and other antimicrobial properties that can help to control the microbes causing bacteria and fungal skin conditions like acne, fungal acne, and even dandruff.
- Hydrating: Rosewater is hydrating and soothing to the skin, and that hydration is protected from transepidermal water loss (TEWL) through an improved skin barrier.
- PH balancing: Rosewater is one of the best toners for the face. The pH of rosewater is generally between 4.5 and 5.5, making it nearly the same as the skin’s natural PH. However, when the skin encounters sweat, sebum, various types of detergents, and even different types of fabrics, the skin’s pH can change. When the skin is too alkaline or basic, the skin can become dry with more signs of age, like wrinkles and fine lines. At the same time, too much acid can cause the skin to develop inflammatory skin conditions like acne, eczema, and rosacea. Rosewater helps balance the skin by bringing its pH back to normal levels.
Ready to get rosy? Here are some of my rose-infused faves.
FALSCARA REMOVER ($6.49) is infused with soothing rosewater and provides gentle, easy removal of FALSCARA WISPS and BOND & SEAL while nourishing the eye area.
Trilogy Certified Organic Rosehip Oil ($22.99) delivers intense all-over nourishment, skin renewal and replenishment for radiant healthy-looking skin. (I swear by this!)
Strength X Beauty Rose Hydrating Mist with Hyaluronic Acid ($36) increases hydration, elasticity and suppleness for your skin and promotes vibrant, healthy hair.
Colleen Rothschild Beauty Micro-Mineral Soothing Toner ($36) is formulated with hydrating humectants such as rosehip seed oil and prickly pear extract that create a skin-soothing, milky, moisture-binding emulsion.
SunshineBotanicals Cleanse & Calm ($40) is a mineral-rich cream cleanser will reduce redness, repair, and strengthen sensitive, fragile, and compromised skin conditions.
ADORAtherapy Heart Chakra Bath Soak Number 4 With Rose and Geranium ($35) is infused with milk protein, oat flour, coconut milk and dried crushed flowers. So incredibly soothing!
Just Bee Lilac Candle ($28.98) has hints of romantic rose and warm vanilla that gracefully complement the lilac, adding depth and sweetness to the scent.
KORRES Apothecary Wild Rose Brightening Absolute Oil ($54) is infused with the pedals of one full rose and boosted with vitamin C to give you an ultra-glowy complexion.